Affiliated with: The Photographic Society of America and the Northwest Council of Camera Clubs
The name of this organization shall be the “Tacoma Photographic Society, Inc.” The Society address shall be in the greater metropolitan area of Tacoma, Washington
(1) This Society shall have as its chief purposes the stimulation of interest in all branches of photography and the promotion of fellowship among its members.
(2) To further these purposes, and to enable its members to develop their individual interests and abilities, this Society may sponsor photographic exhibits, educational events, and competitions. It may authorize the establishment of Divisions centered around the various branches of photography, and adopt an awards system for the recognition of individual photographic skills and service to the Society.
(3) All activities promoted in the name of this Society shall have the approval of the Board of Directors.
Membership shall be available to all persons, regardless of race, color, creed or sex, the sole qualifications being an interest in photography, adherence to the Society’s rules, and orderly conduct. Members who joined the Society before the adoption of the original constitution shall be designated as “Charter Members”
The officers of this Society shall consist of President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer, each of whom shall be elected for a period of one year by a majority vote of the members present at the Annual Business Meeting of the Society. In the event of a vacancy in the office of President, the Vice President shall succeed to that office. Other vacancies shall be filled by appointment by the Board of Directors.
There shall be a Board of Directors who shall have the responsibility for carrying out the business of the Society. The membership of the Board of Directors shall consist of the four Society officers, the immediate Past President for a period of one year, a maximum of three members appointed from the Society at large, and a maximum of three members elected from each Division.
(1) Society meetings shall be held at such time and place as the Board of Directors shall approve. One meeting in each fiscal year shall be the Society’s and Divisions Annual Business Meeting, which shall be for the purpose of electing officers and conducting other Society business.
(2) Division meetings shall be held at such time and place as the membership of the respective Divisions shall approve, providing they do not conflict with Society meetings.
(3) Special business meetings of the Society may be called by the Board of Directors on its own initiative, and must be called upon receipt of the written request of ten percent of the membership. Notice of such special meetings shall be given in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution and Bylaws.
Membership dues and initiation fees in the Society and in its Divisions shall be determined by the Board of Directors, subject to ratification by two-thirds of the board members present at the meeting called for such purpose.
The fiscal year of this Society shall begin June 1 and run through the following May 31st.
The competition year of this Society shall begin May 1 and run through April 30.
This Society shall be a non-profit organization. Its funds shall not be expended for salaries or other compensation to its members except as the Board of Directors shall authorize. It shall in all respects comply with federal and state regulations for non-profit organizations.
This Society may be dissolved by a two-thirds vote of the members present at any meeting called for such purpose. Society members shall be given thirty days notice in advance of such meeting, sent to the members’ last address of electronic or postal record. In the event that action is taken to dissolve the Society, all funds and assets belonging to the Society shall be distributed for suitable educational purposes. The specific purposes and the proportions to be allocated to each purpose shall be determined by a two-thirds vote of the members present at the meeting called for that purpose.
The Constitution of this Society may be amended only at the Society’s Annual Business Meeting or a special business meeting called for such purpose. Society members shall be given thirty days notice in advance of such meeting, sent to the members’ last address of electronic or postal record. A two-thirds vote of the members present shall be necessary to carry an amendment. Twenty-five percent of the Society membership, excluding Life-only members who are not present, shall constitute a quorum.
This is a true reproduction of the Constitution on file with the Society Secretary. It contains all the changes enacted up to and including the Society Business Meeting of September 29, 2005.