MONTHLY COMPETITION GENERAL RULES
Tacoma Photographic Society thrives on its competitions. Each month, each division will usually host two competitions. One is the Division specific competition the other is the Assigned Theme Competition.
Print Media is accepted to both competitions at Print meetings, and Digital media is accepted to both competitions at Projection meetings.
- Each member may enter four images into Division Competition each month (two images to Print Division, two images to Projection Division)
- Each member may enter two prints and two files into the Society Assigned Topic Competitions each month. Prints will be presented at Print Division meetings, and digital files will be presented at Projection Division meetings.
- All images must originate in a camera.
- Images may be self-developed, commercially developed (by a photo store) or produced digitally.
- Any enhancement other than overall color and contrast must be made by the photographer.
- You may not copy someone else’s artwork, including paintings, etchings or other photographs.
- Images earning the member photographic points may not be resubmitted without substantial changes.
- You may not enter the same image or a near duplicate image in both Print and Projection Divisions.
- You may enter an image from Division Competition into Society Assigned Theme Competition
- An Image should not have any watermarks or other markings on it that might be used to identify the photographer.
Division Specific Rules
Each division deals with very different media which are handled and presented differently. For this reason, you will find the rules of entry for each media type on their Division pages:
10 Excellent - 9 Very Good - 8 Good (an average photo) 7 Average (a snapshot) 6 Fair (needs a lot of work)
- The combined score of three of the judges will be used to determine the award of a photographic point as explained in Recognition Competition Definition and Awards To Constitute a Competition.
- There must be a minimum of three competing members.
- Place winners are selected by popular vote.
- In popular vote competition each person present shall have a minimum of one vote.
- Ties shall stand unbroken and each image in a tie will receive full credit for Photographic Points.
- Members will not vote for his or her own entry.
- The number of awards to be given and the minimum number of allowed popular votes shall be based on the number of entries as follows:
Minimum Popular Votes
| 3 thru 5
| 3 thru 8
|1st & 2nd Places
| 9 or more
|1st, 2nd, & 3rd Places
Monthly Theme Competitions
This competition is open to all members regardless of Division affiliation.
- No more than two Themes may be assigned per scheduled program.
- Rules of entry are as for the regular Division Competitions.
- Entries may be submitted only once in these competitions.
- Theme photos may be re-submitted into Division Competitions so they can qualify for entry into the TPS Annual Division Competition.
- No member may enter more than two entries per scheduled program.
- Judging for the Monthly Society-Assigned Theme Competition shall be by Popular Vote as described above.
Note that photographic points earned in this competition do not contribute to the member’s Division Photographic Point Standing but do contribute to the member’s Society Photographic Points.
All awards shall be selected by the Awards Committee and shall be in printed certificate format.
Ribbons, stickers or other similar evidence of awards may be provided at the discretion of the Awards Committee.
Please Note: Monthly Theme and Division/Open Competition Honorable Mention awards do NOT receive Photographic Points because they are not allowed for in the Bylaws. These image may be re-submitted into competitions.
For questions or suggested changes to this page, contact the Print and Projection Division Chairs.